Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Great Mouse has died

It is a sad day. My mouse since around 2001 has died after many years of hard service. I first came upon this Optical Mouseman M-BD53 Rev. B as a warranty replacement on an original Ergonomic Mouseman, which I bought after moving out and away from my original Mouseman. Unfortunately, I haven't found one that quite fills its place in terms of ergonomics and movement. A couple years ago I even purchased another Logitech mouse just to steal its cord, as the original on this one had grown stiff as the rubber broke down. For those curious, this was P/N 201404-000.

Will I find a suitable replacement? Something that I don't have to charge batteries but still feels good and moves right? The search is on.

Do I keep it and troubleshoot the problem? Reflow all the solder? Replace the cord again and hope it is a break in it? With ever increasing frequency in its final weeks it would stop working, power from the USB port would cease and the light would go out. I initially thought my motherboard was on its way out, but another mouse has worked fine with no interuptions. I'll hold onto it for a little while and see if I get ambitious with the soldering iron. Perhaps it will return as frankenmouse!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Jared: That mouse is my favorite mouse of all time! I realized it many many years ago when it died on me.
    I bought a different mouse but it just didn't feel right in my hand.
    So I scoured the internet and found someone who still had a few left to sell and I bought 10 of them so I'd never have to change my mouse again.

    I'm curious, did you ever find a good replacement? If so, let me know what one you found, as I may like it too. If not, I can mail you an MBD53 (they are not 'Rev B' though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'd take one if you still have it! Mine is getting a short in the cord, and I just don't like the new mice...

      Delete