Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Garden Update March 27

The plants have been coming up for a while now. The corn is coming up in the rows and I transplanted a bean sprout into the corn rows to get two of the three sisters growing together. I will probably try doing the three sisters in that area next time I plant, but that will have to wait for now.


Lots of transplants make it look like I've really done good so far! The basil (lower left two) isn't doing that great, but might just make it. The four red cabbage transplants are looking great. The tomatoes and bell peppers weren't looking so hot at first but seem to have turned a corner for the better. The beans and peas are growing fast, but the beans by far the fastest. The peas leaves are a little yellow, but it seems to come and go, maybe I'm not watering a way they like?




The roma grape tomato plant is by far the best looking of the ones we got. Hopefully it will bring out a good bunch of us this year. This planter has the lettuce which are growing great, radishes that I've had a dozen of and taste delicious and some carrots in need of thinning.


And what garden would be complete without some stinky composters nearby? Actually, the one on the left is ready to use and never really smelled while it was composting, as I had a lot more leaves when I started it (well, them, I combined them into the left one when they broke down). The one on the right is a new start and it reeks. It has way too much nitrogen from grass clippings, even mixed with sawdust it's still too much nitrogen. The color of the green grass and the yellow sawdust makes it look as disgusting as it smells. As long as I don't turn it though it doesn't really escape the barrel. I recently added a bunch of shredded cardboard in an attempt to bring balance to it, but I doubt it was enough.



Much more interesting with them open:


No comments:

Post a Comment