Monday, January 11, 2010

2009 Elk Hunt in 6B Pre Hunt

So, another year and fortunately another elk hunt. At the beginning of the year we put in for a 6B bull hunt, anticipating having access to horses and mules. With the passing of my grandfather we lost immediate access to animals and the other people we know with animals had them tied up elsewhere for the week. Steve and I went by DI and picked up an old external frame backpack in case we got one, but were really anticipating getting an elk *outside* the wilderness area.

We had some family and friends hunting in the area, but plans varied so we camped alone. Elizabeth and I headed out Wednesday in hopes of scouting Thursday morning before Thanksgiving and sneaking some in Thursday evening. We got all set up and had a great tinfoil dinner of meat loaf (mmm, bacon chunks). Just as we were going to sleep I realized I still had my work shirt on, and the pen was in my shirt. As I was pondering whether or not I would need the pen on the hunt I started wondering if a game warden would let you sign your elk tag if you had forgotten, as they state "Not Valid Until Signed". I then started wondering if I had signed mine, and just as that thought entered my head I realized I left my permit in the safe back home!

So the next morning I woke up and drove until I got some cell service and called my Dad to schedule a round trip flight to Mesa. We hurried into town and helped my dad get ready for the flight. Elizabeth stayed in Flagstaff for Thanksgiving activities and my dad and I headed for the airport. Just as we were getting to the airport I remembered that I left the Garage Door Opener in the truck at my parents! This was not a good couple days for me. So I called Jenny asked if she could bring it to me. While waiting for them to bring that my dad and I were getting the plane jump started. Soon after we were in the air in the camouflage green Cessna 182.

Jenny's uncle Mike arrived at Falcon Field shortly after my dad and I touched down and took us to my house to get the permit. Five minutes after we arrived we headed over to Angie and Steve's to get a pressure canner and table cloths. We filled up when we got back to Falcon Field. The flight was nice and smooth with a tailwind heading back up to Flagstaff. This put us about half an hour late for Thanksgiving dinner but not too bad for a trip to Mesa and back.

Burn area near Buck Ridge just before sunrise (Photo by Elizabeth):

Mac and my dad looking for elk on Buck Ridge from the burn area on the eve of the hunt:

Mac, Elizabeth and Dad getting warmed up around the fire:

Jared and Elizabeth relaxing, getting ready for the hunt!:

No comments:

Post a Comment