Sunday, April 26, 2009

Old Projects: 55 Gallon Smokers

Back when I was in my old house I started to make some smokers for and with some friends. This was all before I had done any smoking myself, and I was mostly just helping out and providing some shop space.

We though we had it planned out pretty well. We had a full size barrel for the smoking and a barrel cut down to 1/3rd for the fire box. We were then cutting lids out of another barrel so they could be oversized and overlap the opening in the smoking barren and fire box.

I ended up moving out of the house before we could finish the project and sending the unfinished barrels and frames to Jason's house, so no finished project here, I do have some nice pictures (old low res) of the process :-).


Jason cutting an opening in the fire box.


The two fire boxes ready to have ends welded on and doors attached.

Mock up of how we'd like them layed out when complete.

Jason cutting frame pieces.

Ahh, gotta love the way the welding looks on camera :-)

Frame ready to be welded into one piece.







Tada! The barrels are just resting on the frames, we didn't make it much further after this step, maybe I'll try another time, but bigger! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment