Friday, April 24, 2009

I can't get no satisfaction Part 1: AC Parts

So I've had a nasty string of bad luck with service or mix ups with advertisements lately that has reminded me why I do most of my own maintenance and repairs.

I'm working on redoing the AC system on my truck as the accumulator I got from Autozone had a leak (I didn't notice until out of warranty). Being that it was an older system I figured I would just go ahead and replace everything: accumulator, evaporator, compressor, condenser and orifice tube. Most of those are pretty easy to come by in the form they should be, except the condenser. I have the parallel flow condenser, and wanted to replace it with one, but all that the local auto stores stock are tube and fin or piccolo type condensers, both of which are older designs that don't dissipate heat as effectively as parallel flow. After much searching, I found a parallel flow condenser from Rock Auto that was made by Spectra Premium (part 74579 for any interested). I was excited when it arrived, and opened it up to have a look at it. I was very dissapointed to find a picollo style condenser in the Spectra Premium box. The part number on the supposedly Spectra Premium was 3152, the number for the Visteon picollo condenser. Through no fault of RockAuto.com, Spectra is repackaging Visteon's older style condenser's as their own. So I packaged it back up and back to RockAuto it went. The refund went fine, have to find the condenser somewhere else.

Next item, a Mastercool vacuum pump 90059 from AcKits.com, for the same truck project. This was advertised as a 50 micron vacuum pump with 10oz oil capacity. When it arrived I could see that it was a 100 micron pump with 6oz oil capacity. When I called AcKits.com they corrected their website and offered to refund my money on the vacuum pump, but I was happy with their response so decided to keep it.

So far, not too bad, just some mix ups that weren't too tough to remedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment